30 May 2012

[ROM][KANG][IMM76D][v05.26] Non-official CyanogenMod 9 RC-0


Hello you all

Due to pressure from the old, non-specific CM9 topic, I created this new one. Here a non-official CyanogenMod 9 ROM will be presented which is more or less working on our wildfire. I, and other testers here, must warn you that this ROM is currently in a beta stage. Altough the most important things work, there are serveral things that don't work and the device is slow - animations, typing: everything goes slow. So if you can't stand that, make sure you have a nandroid backup to revert to after your 'test'.

Please read this first:
  • I am absolutely no developer. I just learnt how to compile from source, and all that I'm presenting here is the result of the big efforts from the CM9 team in general, and Arco68's more specific - the CM guru for our device. I just figured it out that the community would like an update form time to time.
  • As I, again, am no developer, I have no idea what I can do to your device. I cannot be taken responsible for anything regarding this ROM: if it suddenly bootloops, if it looks bad, if certain things don't work or stop working or if your devices tries to bite you mother-in-law and messes up the hair of your fiancĂ©e just the day before your wedding - it can be my fault, but it is your own responsibility. So don't come complaining that I screwed up your wedding party - you shouldn't have been occupied with your phone the day before your wedding in the first place.
  • I am a biochemist in my thesis year who happens to love working on and with computers. In general, this means that I am no software engineer or something like that and implies that I have a life beyond this laptop (just kidding ;) ). No, this means that I sometimes have very busy periods in which I can't do anything for you all, and other periods in which I can build a new "nightly" every day. You must accept that and if you can't, well, oh well that's not really my problem, just saying it.
  • I live in Belgium, which is general a country I love, accept for the stupid monthly download/upload limits which bothers me already my whole life. This means that I won't use my laptop as a build server for nightlies, as I would be on smallband after 2 weeks.
  • I greatly encourage everybody to help to make this ROM better. Not only because this ROM has some great potential, but most because it is fun to do (and very addictive, be careful!) and you learn A LOT from it. So If you have find a fix of any kind, post it here and send me a pm so I can update the OP with your contribution. But please: say exactly what you did! This is an open source project and nothing is more frustrating than seeing that a specific problem has occurred on another device as well, and then noticing that people "just fixed it, yeah baby". If you are new to all this building headaches - don't use this thread to start learning how to work with git and github, but personally I don't have no single problem with more advanced questions in which the effort that you have already tried to fix it, can be seen.
  • I won't be posting changelogs - they are way to much changes to keep track on the ones that effect the wildfire. For recent merged changes, I refer to the gerrit.
  • Do not complain, but enjoy both the fact that we can run ICS on our low-end device and the notice that, coming from ICS, our wildfire runs very smooth on CM7

This being said: download time!
  • All builds can be found on my google drive - latest build is from 2012.05.26
  • google apps 2012.04.29: download (goo-inside.me)
    • Thanks to Deltatiger for noticing and testing it.
    • I'm using a custom MTD partition sizes of 200mb for /system (with gapps, 174.1mb is taken) and 20 mb for /cache

Updates worth mentioning regarding the Wildfire
  • General updates (including Apollo music - niiiice)
  • I have no idea anymore about the specific updates, it has been a wile :)
  • I've added some experimental commits, more specific: the lockscreen weather (needs resizement) and the option to disable the bloody "choose input method" in the status bar every time type something.

Know issues of stuff not (properly) working
  • Camera video recording - I have the feeling that I'm getting close!
  • The shortcuts on the slide lockscreen are there, but only visible if you choose to show it as a system icon.
  • Camera panoramic view
  • The flashlight option on your camera
  • Playing youtube video's in HD quality (without HD it goes fine)
  • Gallery (use QuickPic as a good alternative)
  • Build-in wifi tethering (use Open Garden WiFi Tethering App; direct link thanks to DarkhShadow: click)
  • Voice-to-text
  • setting the zram/compcache values (it is however fixed at 18% - CM9's default)

Stuff that works but need resizement
  • Weather on the lockscreen
  • Phone.apk in landscape mode
  • Clock.apk in landscape mode
  • Apollo - but only a bit.

Tips and tricks
  • Overclock your device, you can set it to 768 MHz without problems. Personnally, I'm using SMARTASS V2 as gouvernor
  • tip from Onisciente: If we turn off (Settings > Launcher > Drawer > Join with Apps (widgets)). The menu buttom will be so so so fast than before. Because it don't will start de widgets list, if you want see the widget list, just touch "Widgets".
  • Some people find Trebuchet Launcher to slow and install an alternative launcher. Nova Launcher is one of them (customize it!), and also LauncherPro is reported to work very good.
  • If you, like me, love to listen to radio, use Spirit Free FM (XDA thread):
    • download Spirit Free FM "(Market)"
    • Turn on bluetooth manualy before launching the app
    • Allow it to have superuser rights
    • Go to settings - audio - method and select msm7x30
    • Enjoy
  • Use Open Garden WiFi Tethering App for tethering your wifi connection - direct link thanks to DarkhShadow: click
  • To take photo's with your camera:
    • Open de camera app
    • press on the settings button
    • Press on those three squares to open more settings
    • swich on the second option: On/Off-button...
    • go back to the main screen
    • to take a photo, LONG-press the power button. A square appears wich you can use to aim with. When releasing the power button, the photo will be taken.
  • When playing a youtube video, make sure that you disable HD, or it will not play well. You can do that by clicking on the red HD icon at the left of the video. If the icon isn't red anymore, HD is disabled.
  • To show a lockscreen shortcut icon, choose the shortcut and than click on the icon of it. Choose for "system icon", pick an icon and save that configuration. Icons other than system icons will not be shown.
Credits to
  • the whole CM team
  • Arco68
  • Sympnotic
  • rallapag
  • plakiko

Have fun with it!
Erwin

MORE INFO: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1473344

No comments:

Post a Comment